I have a list. I love lists, and make them about everything (what to do, what to wear, what to pack, what to eat … you get the picture). I love my husband and often it’s enough just to say that, but lately I’m finding that it pays to be specific. My computer has that Sticky Notes application Microsoft introduced with Windows 7, and one of my stickies is a list of the things I love about my Man. I update it every few days, whenever I remember something else that I love about him, or he does something new that I love.
Here’s the list at the moment. Papa Bear is:
- Hard working;
- Deeply caring;
- Sweet & kind;
- Good @ fixing stuff;
- A loving and wonderful father;
- Funny, and has a good sense of humour;
- Willing to eat the food I make (this is a biggie at the moment, when some of the experiments include puréed carrots with banana. For dinner. Not recommended);
- Able to spell very well (important to me);
- A lover of books and words;
- A lover of God.
This list is by no means exhaustive, but having it on my desktop reminds me of just how special he is to me, and what it was that I loved about him in the first place. I didn’t marry him for his willingness or ability to wash dishes (for instance), and on the days when all the domestic stuff falls to me and I feel tired and overwhelmed, I remember this kind man who ticks all the boxes on my “Mr Right” check list. Then I praise God for giving me who I needed, despite my incomplete list and selfish tendencies.