Tomorrow, it will be one year since we started SCD. Our goals included the following:
- Fewer headaches (especially for Goldilocks and me);
- Fewer stomach cramps (especially for Goldilocks and Red Riding Hood);
- Better concentration (esp. Papa Bear and Goldilocks);
- Fewer mood swings (all of us);
- Better skin (mainly me);
- Fewer allergic reactions (all of us but especially Papa Bear);
- Fewer nightmares (Red Riding Hood);
- Better sleep (all of us, but esp. Papa Bear and me);
- More energy (the Big Bears again); and
- Better focus.
One year in, we have achieved a lot. Papa Bear isn’t taking part, but the girls and I have had 10% success in all areas except mood swings and skin. In fact, the mood swings are significantly improved, and I am sure the imminent onset of puberty isn’t helping hat’s left of them.
As for skin, which I discussed a little while ago, we seem to have found both the cause and a solution. Apparently, severe stress coupled with averaging about 5 hours of sleep a night and a marked zinc deficiency have conspired to cause very bad skin. I’m taking zinc supplements and a natural antibiotic from the health shop, as well as hypericum (St John’s Wort) for the stress. I’m treating topically with Cetaphil and Melaskin, and the results are dramatic. We’re not there, but I think the end is in sight. Fingers crossed!
– By Vanessa Davies – daily discovering Joy on a Shoestring.
Have you tried SCD or paleo? Has an other eating protocol worked for you?