Some years ago Papa Bear and I attended a Dave Ramsey Money Management course in our Church. It was great, and even though we’re only starting to implement the principles now (#1: emergency fund. Hmm..), we learnt a lot and it certainly affected our attitudes and perspectives.
This week I discovered a clever application of these principles in my research into SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet), so I’m sharing it here. The article comes from Kelly the Kitchen Kop and the full post (and others) can be read here.
Dave Ramsey’s Money Principle #1:
- Implement the Debt Snowball – Attack one debt at a time, the smallest first. When that’s done, attack the next smallest debt. Soon you’ll have gained the momentum you need to keep it going.
Kitchen Kop’s Real Food Principle #1:
- Implement the Good Health Snowball – Start with one thing at a time so you’re not overwhelmed. (You could go through these Rookie Tips.) Change that one thing in your kitchen or in your diet, and when you’ve got that down, move to the next goal. Soon you’ll have gained the momentum needed to keep you motivated for each next step! (My Rookie class could help with this, too!)
Dave Ramsey’s Money Principle #2:
- “Live like no one else so later you can live like no one else.” Drive beaters without payments, don’t spend money you don’t have, live within your means, save your money. Then later when you’ve built up wealth, you can live like no one else. You won’t be too buried in debt to have peace in your life.
Kitchen Kop’s Real Food Principle #2:
- “Live like no one else so later you can live like no one else.” Don’t load up onsugar any old time you feel like it. (A good reminder for myself, too.) Cook most of your food at home. Don’t eat out for convenience sake. Don’t keep processed foods around. Then later when you’re in your 50’s or 60’s and haven’t been to the doctor in years, or you’re in your 70’s, 80’s and 90’s and still on the floor wrestling with your grand kids or out walking each morning pain-free, you’ll be living like no one else.
Dave Ramsey’s Money Principle #3:
- Don’t be “normal”. Many may mock you for being “weird”, but remember that “normal” is broke and in debt.
Kitchen Kop’s Real Food Principle #3:
- Don’t be “normal”. Many may mock you for being “weird”, but remember that “normal” is sick and tired.
Dave Ramsey’s Money Principle #4:
- Don’t take advice from broke people.
Kitchen Kop’s Real Food Principle #4:
- Don’t take advice from those whose advice has kept us sick.
Dave Ramsey’s Money Principle #5:
- “The Borrower is slave to the lender.” (From the book of Proverbs.) Debt does not create peace in your life.
Kitchen Kop’s Real Food Principle #5:
- “The Truth will set you free.” (From the book of John.) Nutritional advice that makes common sense can free us from health issues that may have weighed on us for years or that could be right around the corner. Good health can set you free to enjoy the life you’ve been given.
This week I’m starting SCD with my family, so I’ll let you know how that goes.